This salad was invented out of a desire to incorporate more cauliflower into our diet. An excellent source of important antioxidants – vitamin C, beta-carotene, and quercetin, cauliflower also contains the sulfur-rich phytonutrients glucosinolates, which, when broken down through chewing, become anti-cancer compounds hindering the growth of tumours and in some cases, killing off cancer cells.
Don’t be put off by the turmeric and curry powder in this recipe as these spices are really good for you and simply make it divine. The dates offer a light sweetness, whilst the crunch and flavour of the red onion gives it a real kick with the spices. This perfectly balanced dish has become one of our all time favs and is great as either a main or a side.
- 1 medium cauliflower head
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 15 dates
- 1 red onion
- ¾ cup of almonds
- 8 mushrooms
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 3 packed cups mixed rocket and spinach
- 1 cup pitted olives
- Juice of a lemon
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wash, peel and cut the sweet potato into bite size pieces and place on a baking tray.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil over the sweet potato and massage together with your hands then place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, (cook until soft).
- While the sweet potato is cooking, chop the head of cauliflower into florets and place to one side.
- Finely slice the red onion, chop the cherry tomatoes in half and chop the dates into quarters.
- After 15-20 minutes, take the sweet potato out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking tray, sprinkle over the turmeric and curry powder and drizzle with olive oil. Massage together with your hands.
- Place the cauliflower on a baking tray and cover the tray with tin foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, chop of the mushrooms in half (so they are still chunky), heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a medium pan and cook the almonds for around 3-4 minutes, followed by the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms are cooked, set aside.
- After 15 minutes, take the cauliflower out of the oven, turn the florets over and place back in the oven uncovered for a further 10 minutes, then take out and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, almonds, mushrooms, red onion, dates, olives, rocket and spinach into a bowl followed by the lemon juice. Add the salt and pepper and then toss before serving.
Building a community to share experiences, offer support and promote wellness. Inspired by love, life, family and knowledge.
Let’s live and eat beautifully.
Inspired by love, life, family and knowledge.