This plant-based recipe allows us to feel like we are having our pasta fix without the bloat, thanks to the courgette spaghetti. The mushrooms and red onion provide a filling texture, whilst the sun dried tomato and pesto sauce gives it that real flavour kick!
- 4 large courgettes (or 6 small courgettes)
- 6 medium mushrooms (cut into quarters)
- 2 medium red onions (cut into quarters)
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup olives
- 2 cups sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 2 cups basil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup cashews
- Spiralise or julienne the courgettes and place in a bowl.
- Melt 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a medium pan on a moderate heat.
- Once melted, gently saute the mushrooms and red onions until caramelised. Set aside.
- For the sauce, add everything into a blender and blend until smooth. If you feel that the sauce is too thick, add some more water.
- In a wok (or large pan), melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil, add the courgetti and then gently heat for 8-10 minutes. You may find there is some excess water after this time, so before the next step, drain the water.
- Add the sauce, mushrooms and red onion and heat for another 3 mins, then serve.
- Garnish each serving with a handful of coriander, olives and salt and pepper to taste.